It comes as a surprise to many people that the Crescent Theatre is run by volunteers and that Crescent Theatre productions are created by people who are not paid, but who have a passion for theatre and are dedicated to producing work to the very highest standard.
Apart from an interest in theatre, people join for different reasons: for social contact, to gain experience of “real theatre” before going to drama school, to use their technical expertise, or simply to find out how theatre works.
Theatre is more than acting. Even a “one-hander” like Shirley Valentine requires a large team of people to put it on:
- Actor(s) and Director of course, but also
- Set Designer
- Sound Designer
- Lighting and special effects Designer
- An assistant to the director (called a Production Assistant at The Crescent) who writes down the moves at rehearsals, smoothes ruffled brows, makes endless cups of tea and coffee and prompts the performances
- Stage Manager who runs the performances
- Assistant Stage Manager and/or stage crew,
- Props Assistants,
- Sound and lighting operators (often the same people that have designed the show).
- Set construction team
- “Strike” team, who take down the set and put everything away at the end of the performance run.
And then there’s Front of House: up to four stewards can be needed in the main auditorium and two in the studio, throughout the whole of a performance to ensure the audience’s safety. We also need bar and coffee bar staff.
To get an audience in to buy tickets we need people to carry out marketing and publicity functions, designing posters, organising photo shoots, keeping the website up-to-date, selling tickets at the box office, the list of opportunities is endless!
A lot of people are needed to support the building’s day to day activities.
Some of these tasks only need a commitment of an evening’s work. Production roles probably require a commitment of several weeks, mainly during evenings and weekends.
The Board of Management
The Crescent Theatre Ltd is a charitable company managed by a Board of Trustees who are elected by the membership.
Paid staff team
The Crescent has a core staff team who carry out the day-to-day running of the building and manage the visiting companies. The team includes administrative and technical staff.
If you are under 18, you could join the Youth Theatre which meets regularly on Saturday
mornings. Details on the Youth Theatre page.
The Crescent Theatre is committed to encouraging equality, diversity and inclusion among our members.
The aim is for our membership to be truly representative of all sections of society and for each member to feel respected and able to give of their best.
The Crescent Theatre promotes equality, fairness and respect for all.
The Board of Management commits to:
- Encourage equality, diversity and inclusion within the membership;
- Create an environment free of bullying, harassment and discrimination;
- Promote dignity and respect for all, and where the contributions of all are recognised and valued;
- Ensure that all members understand that they can be held liable for acts of bullying, harassment or discrimination, against fellow members;
The Board of Management will take seriously any complaints of bullying, harassment, victimisation and unlawful discrimination by members in the course of the organisation’s activities.
Such acts may lead to the cancellation of membership and expulsion from the theatre.
How to Join
Becoming a member of The Crescent Theatre is simple! Download the application form and return it to The Members Manager. We will contact you to book your induction. Be sure to read the volunteering policy included in this document.
For more information contact The Members Manager on 0121 643 5858
Document Downloads (PDF format)
Memorandum and Articles of Association (Constitution) Revised July 2011